Useful Links

Useful Links

SEND School Report & Local Offer

Kirklees Local Offer Information

Please Click Here:


School Philosophy

We aspire to be a ‘school of choice’ by being a caring and supportive school where we identify, encourage and develop the talents and qualities of each pupil from 4 to 16.

We are committed to enabling pupils to thrive and pursue excellence in all areas and, in so doing, helping them to prepare for adult life as confident, independent and respectful members of a caring society.

Inclusion Philosophy

Batley Grammar School believes in and encourages inclusion.

The School believes that all Primary pupils and Secondary students, whatever their needs, should receive the best possible education. Our aim is to enable all pupils/students to excel in their personal, social and academic achievements.

Batley Grammar School is an all through, 4 -16 school which, wherever possible, caters for the needs of pupils/students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.  We recognise that, being a relatively small school, there are limitations to our provision when compared with some other larger and more specialist establishments. Parents/carers of SEND pupils/students who wish to apply for a place at Batley Grammar School, for their child, are encouraged to meet the SENCo, the appropriate Head of Key Stage and/or a member of the Senior Leadership Team to establish whether Batley Grammar School is the best school to meet their child’s needs.

Useful school details:


Mr John Hughes


Mrs C Watson

SENCo Email Address

School Address

Batley Grammar School
Carlinghow Hill
WF17 0AD

Telephone Number

01924 474980

Office Email Address

Local offer webpage link

Age Range

4 – 16

Type of School

Member of Batley Multi Academy Trust


Batley Multi Academy Trust is Directly funded from Education Funding Agency (EFA)


Please refer to our Policies Page for our Accessibility Plan and SEND Inclusion Policy.


What are Additional Needs/SEND?

Any child may have additional needs at some point during his/her school career.

‘Additional Needs’ is the term used to describe needs presented by students that cannot be met by universal teaching approaches. This may be due to a variety of reasons from anxiety to bereavement. The term ‘Special Educational Needs’ is used to describe a sub-set of Additional Needs referring primarily to the educational needs presented by students who are on the school’s SEN register. Appendix 1 sets out a definition and the most likely areas.

Who should you talk to if you think your child needs extra help or support?

There are a variety of people you can contact if you have concerns about your child, including; your child’s class teacher, form tutor or head of year.

Alternatively, you can also speak to the school SENCo, Mrs Watson or Assistant Headteacher, Mr Smeaton.

How do we identify that a child has SEN?

All teachers are responsible for identifying pupils with Additional Needs and SEN and, in collaboration with the pupils and their parents/carers, and the SENCo will ensure that those pupils requiring different or additional support are identified at an early stage.

On entry to the school, each child will be assessed and as the students continue through school. The School will use appropriate screening and assessment tools to ascertain pupil progress. Whether or not a pupil is making appropriate progress is seen as a significant factor in considering the need for SEN provision (Appendix 3). Assessment data may include:

  • Information from parents
  • Evidence obtained by teacher observation/assessment
  • Standardised screening or assessment tools
  • Records from pre-school nurseries/primary schools/previous settings
  • Reports from external agencies such as Educational Psychology and Speech and Language Therapy

How do we support a child with SEN?

Class and subject teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of all children and young people in their class.

They oversee the work of any support staff in their lessons and collaborate with any specialist staff. Their planning takes additional support into account and is discussed with those staff. However, any intervention and support does not replace high quality teaching.

In line with the SEN Code of Practice, the School advocates the graduated approach through a system of assess, plan, do, review. This ultimately begins with the class teacher employing high quality teaching strategies to their day-to-day teaching. Where strategies do not appear to be having the desired impact, different intervention models will be explored; firstly through the class teacher/department, working towards specialist interventions if they are deemed appropriate.

The School may decide, in collaboration with the parent/carer, to place a pupil on the SEN register at SEN Support. Every child on SEN Support has a different profile of needs and we adopt a personalised approach to ensure we do our upmost to meet those needs.

Where a child’s needs are considered to be more significant and it is felt that more sustained support will be necessary, the child will receive additional or more intense targeted support and records of this will be kept on the School’s provision map. The support here may involve small group work, both in class and withdrawal, and may also include some 1:1 support.

Where a child’s needs may be more complex, and she/he is still not making expected progress despite the above provision, we will take steps to develop a My Support Plan to ensure further targeted support. A ‘My Support Plan’ is drawn up with the child, their parents/carers and any professionals involved with the family, and details the child’s (and his/her family) background, aspirations, strengths, needs and desired outcomes in the short and long term; not just regarding education, but also (where necessary) in the areas of health and social care.

There are a variety of external agencies/professionals that may become involved with supporting students with addition needs/SEN, such as Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapy and the Kirklees Specialist Provisions for Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN) and Sensory and Physical Impairments.

Where a child’s needs are complex and the child is still not making expected progress despite the above sustained intervention detailed in the My Support Plan, the School will consider requesting an assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The EHCP will replace the My Support Plan and will mirror all the relevant information in it, but has the added advantage of placing statutory obligations on education, health and social care to provide the support detailed therein. (EHCP’s are equivalent to and replace the Statements of SEN that some students may already have – see Appendix 5)

What range of provision is available to support children with SEN?

The main methods of provision made by the school are:

  • Full-time education in mainstream classes, with additional help and support by the class teacher through a differentiated curriculum and a high level of Quality First Teaching
  • An ETA Keyworker
  • Periods of withdrawal individually or in groups to work with a support teacher/ETA
  • In class support with adult assistance
  • Support from specialists within class or as part of a withdrawal programme

How will the progress of a child with SEN be monitored?

Batley Grammar School closely monitors the progress of all students.

Data is collected every term, collated and sent home. Any subject areas where a student is not making the expected progress, a plan for intervention will be made. Class and subject teachers are accountable for the progress of students in their class. They will oversee the work of the support staff in their lessons and collaborate with any specialist staff.

The School adopts a graduated approach, starting with ensuring there is an excellent standard of differentiated, Quality First Teaching for all. The SLT have a rigorous programme of observations and learning walks throughout the year to monitor the quality of teaching and learning. SEN is a key area within this. Through the system of assess, plan, do, review, intervention will be firstly explored by the class teacher and graduated steps towards specialist interventions if deemed appropriate. These will be monitored and recorded on the provision map.

What support is available for a child’s overall well-being?

We support our students in a variety of ways; every student will have a form tutor who will (in most cases) remain with them as they progress up the School.

The School also has a Welfare Officer, Miss Shaw, who oversees the welfare of any vulnerable students.

In addition to this, all students with a statement or EHCP, and some students on SEN Support, will receive a key worker who is a link between child, home and School. Keyworkers meet with their key students regularly and support them in their emotional well-being as well as providing curriculum support.

The School also has areas called the The Hub and the The Personalised Learning Centre which students know they will be directed to if they are struggling.

What specialist services and expertise are available?

All teachers and members of support staff are invited to make SEN referrals to the SENCo should they have concerns about a student.

Should it be appropriate, the SENCo can make referrals and seek advice from outside agencies and specialist services. We work closely with educational psychologists, speech therapists, CAMHS, CHEWS and all Kirklees specialist provisions.

How do we prepare children with SEN for transition to the next phase of their education?

In the Primary Phase:

  • All pupils can attend a transition day or a series of visits.
  • Discussions between the previous or receiving Schools settings happen prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher (tutor) and other members of staff.
  • Additional visits can be arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • School staff are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with relevant staff from both schools, the parents/carers and, where appropriate, the pupil.

In the Secondary Phase:

  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools settings happen prior to the student joining/leaving.
  • Students can attend a transition day or a series of visits.
  • Additional visits can be arranged for students who need extra time in their new school. School staff are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the
  • PSHCE curriculum provides Careers modules which work towards a smoother transition to further education or work based placements School Careers Advisor offers group and individual advice
  • Transition arrangements can be made for students with SEND

What activities outside of the academic curriculum are available for children with SEN?

There is a wide variety of extra-curricular available to our students at Batley Grammar School, running daily from 15:10 up to 17:00.

Arrangements can often be made for additional adult support during these activities for students with additional needs/SEN where necessary.

What do all the terms and abbreviations mean?

  1. Umbrella Terms

AN: Additional Needs: The term used within the school for needs presented by students that cannot be met by universal/Wave 1 approaches

SEN: Special Educational Needs: A sub-section of Additional Needs referring primarily to the needs presented by the students who have educational needs and are on the school’s SEN Support Register.

  1. Identifiable Types of Difficulties, Conditions and Disability

SpLD: Specific Learning Difficulties: An umbrella term covering a wide range of identifiable difficulties, usually inherent, that an individual may present with. When these difficulties are clustered together, often more definitive sub-sets are used such as ‘dyslexia’, ‘dyscalculia’, ‘ADHD” etc.

ADHD: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A specific learning difficulty typically presenting as exceptionally low concentration span, poor working memory, limited organisational skills with extreme impulsivity.

ADD: Attention Deficit Disorder: A specific learning difficulty typically presenting as exceptionally low concentration span, poor working memory, daydreaming/procrastination and slower thinking through of Concepts, questions etc.

AD: Attachment Disorder: A range of difficulties typically affecting mood, adherence to social norms and social relationships arising from a failure to form normal attachments to primary care givers during early childhood (0-3 years). Also has causative link to incidences of abuse, neglect, sudden separation from/changes in caregivers during early childhood.

ASD: Autistic Spectrum Disorder: A psychological condition presenting itself in a variety of forms (Autism, Asperger Syndrome, Pathological Demand Avoidance, Pervasive Development Disorder), typically including specific learning difficulties centred around limited empathy, fixated/literal thinking, limited ability to interpret language, limited ability to engage in a variety of social situations/experiences etc.

Dyslexia or Dyslexic Tendencies: A specific learning difficulty typically presenting itself in one or more of the main areas of literacy – namely reading and spelling. Students will have difficulties with working memory and often organisational skills. A commonly used indicator is where there is a clear discrepancy between literacy skills and general ability – though students of all ability may have dyslexia.

Dyspraxia: A specific learning difficulty based around the brains transmission of signals that control gross and fine motor skills – typically affecting planning of movements and co-ordination. This can also impact on language development.

Dyscalculia: A specific learning difficulty typically presenting itself in one or more of the main areas of Maths/numeracy – namely use of symbols, acquiring arithmetical skills particularly those requiring use of working memory, and spatial understanding. On the surface, these often relate to basic concepts such as: telling the time, calculating prices and handling change and measuring and estimating things such as temperature and speed.

Hl: Hearing impairment: Difficulties based around fully or partially reduced functioning in one of both ear’s ability to detect and/or process sounds. Caused by a wide range of biological and environmental factors, loss of hearing typically arises in young people from genetic/biological condition or injury to part/s of the ear.

MLD: Moderate Learning Difficulties: Definitions of Moderate Learning Difficulties vary. However, a common understanding is that there must be substantial difficulties (2+ years below standard progress) in two or more of the following areas: literacy, numeracy, speech and language, social skills, memory, concentration – typically in conjunction with an exceptionally low score on an individual test of intelligence and notable low self-esteem/independence in learning.

Pl: Physical Impairment: Difficulties based around a full or partially reduced muscular-skeletal functioning in parts of the body. Caused by a wide range of biological and environmental factors, this type of difficulty typically arises in young people from a genetic/biological condition, a medical condition, or a significant injury.

SLCN: Speech, Language and Communication Needs: A range of specific learning difficulties related to all aspects of communication. These can include difficulties with fluency, forming sounds and words, formulating sentences, understanding what others say, and using language socially and for learning.

Vl: Visual Impairment: Difficulties based around fully or partially reduced functioning in one or both eye’s ability to detect and/or process images. Caused by a wide range of biological and environmental factors, loss of vision typically arises in young people from a genetic/biological condition or injury to part/s of the eye.

SEMH: Social Emotional Mental Health: A range of difficulties typically presenting as exception limitation in an ability to recognise and manage emotions linked in with persistent inability to engage constructively in a variety of social situations/experiences etc.

The following two areas are not classed as a learning difficulty, condition or disability but are a formally identifiable area of need.

EAL: English as an Additional Language: Referring to students who were born in Britain for whom English is not the first language at home, and for students not born in Britain, having arrived in the country after the acquisition of their first language.

Med: Medical Needs: Refers specifically to students with a medical condition that is permanent/on-going and is likely to interfere with attendance to school and participation in a full mainstream curriculum.

Core Practices and Processes

Access Arrangements: Additional support for students sitting exams/controlled assessments.

Annual Review: A legally-binding yearly review of needs and support arrangements for students with a Statement of SEN or an EHCP. This involves written reports and a meeting between all relevant parties.

Health Care Plan or Medical Needs Plan: A document holding information on a student’s medical needs with advice on responses where necessary.

In-Class Support: Strategies and additional staffing put in place to ensure the inclusion and achievement of a student, or group of students, in the mainstream setting.

Intervention: Small group or individual programmes of study for students with identified additional needs.

Personal Education Plan (PEP): A document to plan and record actions being undertaken to ensure the Well-being and progress of students registered as “Child in Care”/”Looked-after Child’

Pupil Profile and Learning Guide (PPLG): A document to plan and record actions being undertaken to meet the additional needs of a student.

Request for an Education, Health and Care Plan: Triggers assessment of a student’s needs undertaken by the school, educational psychologist, Local Authority, health and social care services to determine whether and EHCP is required.

SEN Support Register: A document holding information on all a student identified as having SEN requiring specific intervention in school.

Single Assessment or Early Help Assessment (EHA), previously CAF: An assessment process, through completion of an assessment form, used by the School when referring to external agencies and designed to be used across the childcare workforce throughout England. Originally introduced as part of the “Every Child Matters’ initiative.

Standardised Test: A test of intelligence or skill area measured against established norms/averages for that age group. A standardised test will typically lead to a ‘standardised score’, ‘age equivalent score’ and a percentile rank’ which can inform psychological/diagnostic reports.

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP): A legally binding document outlining funding and provision to be implemented by the School and other agencies in support of a young person.

How are the School’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year.

The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs. Resources may include using extra staff depending on individual circumstances.

How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents/carers have a responsibility to support their child’s education.

You can be involved in planning for their education by supporting home learning and individual target, through discussions with class teachers/SENCo/other professionals and by attending planning meetings and parent’s evening.

How have we consulted with parents on our offer?

As part of the review of this offer, parents and governors were consulted and their comments and suggestion incorporated into the offer.

We are committed to making this offer as comprehensive and inclusive as possible. Accordingly, we would invite all parents to help us improve the quality and clarity of our offer by sending any suggestions, comments or questions to the School at

What is the Kirklees Local Offer?

The Local Offer has been developed as part of the new Children and Families Act. It aims to provide information on education, health and social care provision available for young people with special educational needs and disabilities, in a way that can be accessed quickly and easily.

Who is producing the Local Offer?

Kirklees Council is working with parents, carers, young people, schools, colleges, early years providers and health services to produce the Local Offer.

What information do schools provide?

Schools have a duty to provide information about special educational needs that is accessible to pupils, parents and carers. We need to make sure this information is kept up to date.

Where can find the Local Offer?

The Kirklees Local Offer can be found at

This is a work in progress. Kirklees Council and partners are working hard to create a Local Offer that includes links to all relevant information that Kirklees residents would find useful. If you have any suggestions for improvements, or ideas about what might help you, contact:

APPENDIX 1 – Definition of Special Educational Needs

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of Compulsory School Age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability is he or she:

  • Has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions

Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under Equality Act 2010 – that is ‘…a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and Substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’. This definition provides a relatively low threshold and includes more children than many realise: ‘long-term’ is defined as ‘a year or more’ and ‘substantial’ is defined as “more than minor or trivial”. This definition includes sensory impairments such as those affecting sight or hearing, and long term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, and cancer. Children and young people with such conditions do not necessarily have SEN, but there is a significant overlap between disabled children and young people and those with SEN. Where a child or young person requires special educational provision over and above the adjustments, aids and services required by the Equality Act they will be additionally covered by the SEN definition.

Additional needs are most likely to be found in some of all of the following areas:

  • Children with Special Educational Needs
  • Children with social and emotional needs and/or behaviour problems
  • Children in need or at risk of harm
  • Disabled children
  • Looked After Children or Adopted/Previously Looked After Children
  • Children who have English as an Additional Language
  • Children who may spend long periods in hospital or out of school
  • Refugee children
  • Traveller children

Children are not to be regarded as having learning difficulties solely because their language, or form of the home language, is different from that in which they are taught.

APPENDIX 2 – School Personnel and their Roles and Responsibilities

The Role of The SENCo, Carmel Watson

The SENCo works with the Head and governing body in determining the strategic development of SEN policy and provision in the School. The SENCo has day-to-day responsibility for the operation of AN and SEN policy and coordination of specific provision made to support individual pupils with SEN, including those who have EHCPs. The SENCo provides professional guidance to colleagues and will work closely with staff, parents and other agencies.

The key responsibilities of the SENCo include:

  • Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the School’s SEN policy
  • Coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the School’s AN/SEN provision
  • Liaising with the relevant Designated Teacher where a Looked After Child has AN/SEN
  • Liaising with parents/carers of pupils with AN/SEN
  • Liaising with other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies.
  • Being a key point of contact with external agencies, especially the Local Authority and its support services
  • Liaising with potential next providers of education to ensure a people and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned
  • Working with the Head and school governors to ensure that the School meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements
  • Ensuring that the School keeps the records of all pupils with AN/SEN up to date
  • Advising class teachers on provision necessary to meet pupils’ needs effectively

The Role of the Governing Body

Governing bodies should, with the head teacher, decide the School’s general policy and approach to meeting pupils’ additional needs for those with and Without EHCPs.

They must set up appropriate staffing and funding arrangements and oversee the School’s work. Through the performance management framework the governors should secure that objectives are set for the head teacher. These should include objectives for leadership, management, pupil achievement and progress, and will also relate to priorities in the School Development Plan. All these objectives should include SEN.

There is also a named SEN governor who has specific oversight of the School’s arrangements and provision for meeting special educational needs.

The governing body will make sure that:

  • they are fully involved in developing and monitoring the School’s SEN policy
  • all governors, especially the SEN governor, are up-to-date and knowledgeable about the School’s SEN provision, including how funding, equipment and personnel resources are deployed
  • SEN provision is an integral part of the School Development Plan
  • the quality of SEN provision is continually monitored.

The Role of the Class Teacher

The SEN Code of Practice specifies that class teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of all the pupils in their class, including where pupils access support from teaching assistants or specialist staff and that high quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have or may have AN/SEN.

The class teacher’s responsibilities include:

  • Being aware of the school’s procedures for the identification and assessment of, and subsequent provision for, AN/SEN pupils
  • Collaborating with the SENCo to decide the action required to assist the pupil to progress
  • Working with other staff and the SENCo to collect all available information on the pupil
  • Working with AN/SEN pupils on a daily basis to deliver the individual programme set out in the PPLG or provision map
  • Developing constructive relationships with parents

APPENDIX 3 – Definition of Adequate Pupil Progress

Pupil Progress

Progress is the crucial factor in determining the need for additional support. Adequate progress is that which:

  • Narrows the attainment gap between pupil and peers
  • Prevents the attainment gap widening
  • ls equivalent to that of peers starting from the same baseline but less than the majority of peers
  • Equals or improves upon the pupil’s previous rate of progress
  • Ensures full curricular access
  • Shows an improvement in self-help and social or personal skills
  • Shows improvements in the pupil’s behaviour

APPENDIX 4 – Education, Health and Care Plans

What is in the EHC Plan?

Section A: The views, interests and aspirations of the child and his or her parents or the young person.
Section B: The child or young person’s special educational needs.
Section C: The child or young person’s health needs which are related to their SEN.
Section D: The child or young person’s social care needs which are related to their SEN.
Section E: The outcomes sought for the child or the young person, including Outcomes for adult life. The EHC plan should also identify the arrangements for the setting of shorter term targets by the school.
Section F: The special educational provision required by the child or the young person.
Section G: Any health provision reasonably required by the learning difficulties or disabilities which result in the child or young person having SEN, and, where an Individual Health Care Plan is made for them.
Section H1: Any Social Care provision which must be made for a child or young person.
Section H2: Any other Social Care provision reasonably required by the learning difficulties or disabilities which result in the child or young person having SEN. This will include any adult Social Care provision being provided to meet a young person’s eligible needs (through a statutory care and support plan).
Section I: The name and type of the school, maintained nursery school, post-16 institution or other institution to be attended by the child or young person and the type of that institution (or, where the name of a school or other institution is not specified in the EHC plan, the type of school or other institution to be attended by the child or young person).
Section J: Where there is a Personal Budget, the details of how the Personal Budget will support particular outcomes, the provision it will be used for including any flexibility in its usage and the arrangements for any direct payments for education, health and Social Care.

Section K: The advice and information gathered during the EHC needs assessment must be attached (in appendices). There should be a list of this advice and information.

Statutory timescales for EHC needs assessment and EHC plan development

APPENDIX 5 – Support Services for Parents

Links with External Agencies/Organisations

When it is considered necessary, colleagues from the following support services will be involved with SEN pupils at the School:

  • Educational psychologists
  • Speech therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Speech, Language and Communication Needs outreach services
  • Hearing impairment outreach services
  • Visual impairment outreach services
  • Autism Outreach Services
  • Pupil Referral Service (Behaviour Issues)
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Children’s Emotional Well-Being Service (ChEWS)

Local Support Services for Parents